The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

27th bake. 11/27/2020. 100% "blended" soaked berries.

idaveindy's picture
idaveindy

27th bake. 11/27/2020. 100% "blended" soaked berries.

Nov. 27, 2020.

The goal of this bake is to use no pre-milled flour, just soaked whole berries that have been blended in a Vitamix blender.  Add-ins are then used to get the hydration right.

This time I weighed most things. I forgot to weigh the approximately 1 tbsp starter. Guessing it to be 19.5 grams.

I started with 225 g of whole berry hard white spring wheat, Prairie Gold, and soaked it in what looked like enough water for 17 hours. I exchanged the soak water during this period.

I weighed the berries and water at the end of the soak, and figured I put 284 grams of water and 225 grams of wheat in the blender.  

Part way through blending, it looked like it needed more water to fully blend, so I added 22 grams of water for a total of 306.

It blended into a paste. I gave it an extra 30 seconds at high speed to break up the small bits. The paste got a bit warm.

Upon scraping it out of the blender, I could see strands, so it developed gluten.

Weighed the bowl of paste, and figured I "lost" 25 grams of paste/dough that I could not scrape out of the blender container. I did not try to flush the residue out of the blender container using water, as that may have necessitated adding flour to the thinner paste.

Using a silicone scraper, folded in 35 grams of whole dry chia seed, 15 grams of dry uncooked old fashioned rolled oats and 15 grams of dry uncooked quick 1 minute oats (not instant).

Folded in 4.5 grams of salt.

Folded in 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast and 19.5 grams of cold starter, 100% hydration, made with Gold Medal Bread Flour, last refreshed yesterday afternoon.

The dough was a little rubbery and bouncy. Yup, there's gluten! Same behavior as yesterday's second bake, only a little more so -- so that one had gluten formed in the blender too, but I did not realize it.

After mixing in the add-ins, I realized that I didn't need to add any flour. Woo hoo!

At the 40 minute  mark, the rolled oats are still lumpy. So in the future, if I don't want oat lumps, I'll use just the quick oats, not the thicker un-cut old fashioned variety.

Baker's percentages:

  • 306 / 225 = 136% hydration, not counting add-ins.
  • 306 / 290 = 105.5% hydration including add-ins.
  • (19.5 / 2) / ( 225 + (19.5/2) ) = 4.1% prefermented flour.
  • 35 / 225 = 15.5% dry chia.
  • 30 / 225 = 13.3 %  dry rolled oats.

 Baked with lid on, at 425 F for 20 minutes. Then with lid off, at 425 F for 23 minutes. Internal temp 209.5 F.

 

 





Comments

idaveindy's picture
idaveindy

Taste is good.  But too moist and gummy.

I think this type of bread is just going to need some gluten-producing flour to go along with the blended whole berries.

justkeepswimming's picture
justkeepswimming

Thanks for posting all this! 

idaveindy's picture
idaveindy

(copied from my comment elsewhere)

 My blender is a Vitamix, and it was 306 grams water with 225 grams dry weight berries. IOW, however much water the dry berries soaked up, plus enough added water to make 306 grams total water, or 136%.

It took a slow increase of blender speed from slow to high speed, to gradually liquify/blend the berries. So I'm glad I got the _variable speed_ model Vitamix.

It also took a few times stopping the machine and using a silicone scraper to push the unblended parts down to the blades, and then restarting. It was only after doing that once, that I remembered a plunger came with the blender for exactly that purpose, and you can do it while running the blender.

The result was a paste; the consistency was between a liquid and a dough.

I didn't notice the chunks left until after baking and eating. The whole rolled oats also resulted in some more "chunks" in the final baked product, but the quick/minute oats totally dissolved.

More interestingly, there was a noticeable amount of bouncy springy gluten developed.