RWC SD - 50% Whole Wheat
Ok, time for my weekly bake, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to up my Whole Wheat percentage to 50%. Just to make it impossible to compare at all to previous bakes, I thought I'd also do my first overnight pre-mix (a la Trevor Wilson), AND up the hydration from my usual 68% to 75%. Nothing like changing lots of variables all at once! :)
Overall, it went ok, though I did not like starting with cold dough, and had to fight the my wetter dough when it came time to pre-shape and shape (practice, practice, practice!) My times were off (as expected with the cold start), but for the most part, things moved along at a similar pace to my usual bakes. One loaf didn't spring a ton, but the other was decent. The one loaf that I have cut so far has a crumb that I like (as I've called it before....and all-purpose crumb.) The final judgement will come from tasting it, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Some pics....... The larger of the two loaves out of the oven:
The smaller of the two loaves sliced:
I'm still getting a bit of a grassy smell (hard red spring wheat), and I'm not sure if this is normal, or just this batch of wheat berries. I'll check back with a taste note tomorrow.
Thanks for looking!