Today (well, and yesterday) was time for round 2 of my sourdough bagels. The last batch were ok, but very dense, and HARD!! So, I changed two things this time around. I upped the hydration to 61% (from 59%), and I let the bagels proof at room temp for about 90 minutes after shaping. The rest of the process I left the same, and, with the bagels now out of the oven, I think I'm on the right track. Oh, wait, I did also add 25g sugar, so I guess I changed three things! Here's what I did.....
Preferment/Levain - 339g
31g Starter from fridge
155g Freshly milled Hard Red Spring WW
753g AP Flour
Total Dough - 1488
Total Flour - 923
Total Water - 563
Total Hydration - 61%
Build levain, and let rise at room temp for 10-12 hours (not quite what I did, as I was building levain for two bakes)
Mix levain with dough water in mixing bowl, then add flour/salt and mix together well
Knead 10-20 minutes, or until dough is soft and smooth
Ferment at room temp for 1.5 hours, then overnight in the fridge
Remove from fridge, scale to 120g, and form bagels
Allow to proof on parchment lined baking sheet for 1.5 hour
Simmer in water (with malt powder) for 1 minute per side, remove and top if desired
Bake at 475F for 35 minutes on baking stone
Remove, cool, slice, eat
Here are a few pics from along the way.
My fed starter after about 4 hours (made enough for a sourdough loaf, too):
Bagels formed (I did a more even job this time):
Bagels simmered, then topped:
Bagels out of the oven (need to work on browning):
All in all, I think that this version turned out better. The dough was very similar, but felt a bit easier to work this time around. The longer proof time before simmering definitely made a difference as the bagels floated in my water almost immediately.....last time they sank and I had to keep them from sticking on the bottom (shallow pot.) I'd like them to get more brown, but that's just an aesthetic. The flavor is about where I want it. Just a slight sourdough tang, and the crumb, though on the dense side, is what I think of as a New York'ish bagel. Pretty happy with these, though I'm sure the next run may have a tweak or two.
Thanks for looking! If you try these out, let us know how it goes, and any changes you make.
PS: Oh, and here's the sourdough loaf (10% whole wheat, 10% semolina, 5% rye):