Day 8, starter doubled for the 1st time...
I had posted in a thread earlier that I was on Day 7, but, according to my notes, I'm actually on Day 8.
Started as follows:
- Day 1 - 3TB WW flour + 2TB pineapple juice, stirred several times
- Day 2 - 3TB WW flour + 2TB water, stirred several times
- Day 3 - repeat day 2
- Day 4 - as I was already getting pretty good activity, I discarded all but 75g of the starter and repeated Day 2, except I used AP flour instead of WW
- Day 5 - NO activity that I could detect...repeated Day 4
- Day 6 - STILL no activity, so went BACK to Day 2 and a discard
- Day 7 - there is LIFE, so Day 6 it is
- Day 8 (today) - discard/feed around 11AM and by 2PM, it had more than doubled in 3 hours (kitchen temp is about 72 deg...MAYBE a snitch cooler)
It smells good, it tastes sour and just a teensy-bit sweet (I guess that's what might remain of the pineapple juice, although there is no smell of PJ). I'll check when I feed it tomorrow to see if it passes the float test.
So, on to the inevitable newbie question...now what?
Do I continue to discard/feed for a few more days so it can build strength/flavor? How best to build up enough to use in a recipe?
I know it should be fed and at its peak right before use, but this, however, is where I'm confused the most...if I were to pull a cup of starter to use in a recipe, do I feed the remaining with a half-cup of flour/water or a whole cup of flour/water? Do I immediately stick it in the fridge or do I let it feed on the counter and THEN put it in the fridge?
Thanks in advance for your help!