16 times, and my Tartine's loaf is still a disaster!! Why???!
I think I'm going insane! I tried the basic Tartine's loaf 16 times and I am not getting it! I must be one in a million that does not get this. I'll list in bullet points what was wrong with my loaf:
- Absolutely no oven spring
- Crust is too thick and inedible
- Loaf sometimes came out unbaked in the middle
- Crumbs are tight and needless to say, because the loaf did not have any oven spring, I can't really say much about crumb structure
Here is what I noticed what was wrong with my loaf prior to having it in the oven:
- After the final fermentation, the loaf became flat with no structure. I was able to shape it ok with no difficulty during the initial shaping/ bench rest period. Then just when I unearth the loaf to score, it was impossible to cut through the loaf in one stroke as the loaf had no structure by this time.
- After the first 20 minutes of baking, I took off the lid and the loaf size was exactly the same size before it went into the oven.
I'm so desperate trying to figure out while 16 times I'm still facing the same mistakes! Please, please help! I really am trying to learn!