Cinnamon Rolls - Thank You
My mom had a special request for cinnamon rolls for her birthday so I'd like to thank zolablue for the recipe here (It's the second recipe down the list):
I'm another happy customer!
I'm mostly posting as a thank you but also with some of my personal experiences that others might benefit from reading about if they choose to make these WONDERFUL and EASY rolls:
1) I used 6g instant yeast instead of a packet (7g) of active dry. Therefore I added an extra half cup of potato liquid to the recipe because I didn't have to disolve the yeast in the beginning.
2) I used lard instead of shortening. I don't know if this is the reason that when I added in the eggs, milk, potato, and potato liquid, it came together with rather a curdled look. I did add the eggs one at a time and when the first one did not mix in smoothly, I broke out the electric beater. The concern was all for naught, though since once I added the flour everything came together beautifully - So don't worry if you get this curdled looking texture beforehand.
3) I used KA organic AP flour and it took 5 cups to create a workable dough, though I may have been able to get away with even less flour.
4) I couldn't find cinnamon chips at the grocery store so I just spread the sugar out on the buttered rolled out dough and sprinkled the whole thing with as much ground cinnamon as I thought would be desirable - A complete but thin layer.
5) I got 14 pieces out of the roll and packed them into a 9 1/2" x 13 1/2" nonstick metal baking pan that I had sprayed with coooking spray.
6) I made vanilla icing and did not use the full amount of milk since I was leaving out the chocolate and it would have been too watery.
I know that it looks like I went crazy with the icing (I actually did have some left over!) but once the roll was on my plate it looked perfect!