steamed cabbage in 100% whole wheat dough
Steamed cabbage adds a wonderful softness to 100% whole wheat doughs!
1/4 head of cabbage (American or Taiwan) -wash and chop into medium chunks, drain. Steam it until pretty soft. Cool and then process until fine in a food processor. Squeeze out as much water as you can. Set aside.
2. Finely chop 2-4 green onions.
3. Make an 85% whole wheat dough:
Mix the following together until a shaggy mass.
300 gr fresh ground whole wheat flour
255 gr water (85% hydration)
1 tsp salt
40 gr rye sour (100% hydration) and/or 3/4 tsp SAF
4. Let dough sit for 6 hours in a covered bowl at room temp. It will rise 50-80%.
5. Mix in cabbage and green onions. Knead in the bowl with wet hands until cabbage/gr onions are well distributed.
6. Refrigerate (covered) overnight. The dough will rise again.
For a quick bake, pinch small balls into a well greased mini muffin tin and bake at 375F. You can bake right away or let dough sit at room temp for 30 min. before baking.
The dough has a decidedly soft texture and reheats well after being refrigerated. The bottoms are nicely browned (due to greased muffin tiun); to get a nice color on the tops, brush with an egg yolk wash.