Experience w/ General Mills 50 lb flour?
Does anyone have home-oven baking experience with these flours from General Mills? I found these while looking for local flour distributors. I found two in the Indianapolis are. I haven't contact them yet.
I use so little white/refined flour (about 10% per loaf, and for feeding the starter), I don't think I can justify a 50 pound bag. But I'm a curious sort. I only have a small freezer on top of the fridge, so I can't freeze much, either.
Based on the protein percent, it looks like "Harvest King" is Gold Medal "Better for Bread."
"All Trumps" is popular at pizzerias.
80+ types of flour at General Mills: https://www.generalmillscf.com/products/category/flour
Of note to bread and pizza bakers, this is everything 11% and up on the page, that is also UNbleached and UNbromated):
- "King Wheat", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 11.1% protein, 25 lbs, code 54495. .56% ash.
- "Imperial", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 11.3% protein, 50 lbs, code 54431. .52% ash.
- "Harvest King", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 12.0% protein, 50 lbs, code 53722.
- "Rex Royal", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 12.6% protein, 50 lbs, code 57151. .50% ash.
- "Full Strength", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 12.6% protein, 50 lbs, code 53395. .56% ash.
- "Remarkable", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 13.6% protein, 50 lbs, code 57162.
- "All Trumps", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 14.2% protein, 50 lbs, code 50143.
- "All Trumps", unbleached, unbromated, enriched, malted, 14.2% protein, 25 lbs, code 50322.
- "Gold Medal Neopolitan Pizza Flour", not enriched, not malted, 12.0% protein, 50 lbs, code 50237.
- Stone Ground White Whole Wheat Flour, Fine Ground, Untreated, 50 lb, code 58034.
- Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour, Fine Ground, Untreated, 50 lb, code 58072.
- Wheat-a-Laxa™ Whole Wheat Flour, Coarse Ground, Untreated, 50 lb, code 53211.
See right side for form to locate a distributor based on zip code.
addendum, other references:
King Arthur professional flour, mostly 50 lb bags: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/pro/products
Caputo (mill in Naples, Italy): http://www.mulinocaputo.it/en/flour
US distributor of Caputo/All Trumps / mail order/ repacks: https://brickovenbaker.com/collections/all/flour
Brick Oven Baker's explanation of Caputo Flours: www.brickovenbaker.com/pages/information-about-caputo-flours
Central Milling (Utah): www.centralmilling.com/store
Keith Giusto Bakery Supply, KGBS, Petaluma CA, part of Central Milling: https://kgbakerysupply.com/bakery-supply-products
Explanation of W, PL, ash%, extraction, Italian/French/German/US specification systems: www.theartisan.net/Flours_One.htm