7th TFL bake, Nov 6, 2019. HWSW & Kamut
7th TFL Bake, Nov. 6, 2019.
452 g Prairie Gold, HWSW, home-milled coarse.
134 g Kamut khorasan wheat, home-milled coarse. (586 g flour so far.)
1/4 tablet of 500 mg vitamin C.
473 g water. Initial hydration: 473 / 586 = 80.7%
Mix at 10:55 am.
Autolyse time: 2 hrs 10 min.
1:05 pm. Add 190 g Levain, at 100% hydration. Levain is mish-mash of BRM dark rye, BRM WW pastry flour, PG, Kamut, white rice flour, and about 1 tsp each of BRM 1-to-1 GF flour, maltodextrin, dextrose, and dried malt extract. I was running late on building up the starter into a fresh levain, so I added the sugars to hurry things along.
Flour so far: 586 + 95 = 681 g.
Water so far: 473 + 95 = 568 g.
Hydration so far: 568 / 681 = 83.4%.
Percent Prefermented Flour, PPF: 95 / 681 = 13.95%.
1:42 pm. Stretch and fold.
2:28 pm. Stretch and fold.
2:53 pm. Added/folded in 13.3 g salt (1.95%) semi-dissolved in 20 g water.
Final hydration: (568 + 20) / 681 = 86.3%.
Final weight: 588 + 681 + 13 = 1282 g = 2.82 pounds.
Bulk ferment: 2 hours, 40 min. (1:05 - 3:45)
3:45 pm. Passed window-pan test. Folded and rested.
3:55 pm. Dusted and put in floured (50/50 white rice flour and WW pastry flour) and lined banneton.
Room temp proof: 1 hour, 12 min. ( 3:45 - 4:57)
4:57 pm. Put in fridge.
7:57 pm. Pre-heat oven to *495/475. (First number is oven setting, second number is actual.)
Cold proof: 3 hours, 54 min. (4:57 - 8:51)
Total proof: 5 hours, 6 min. (3:45 - 8:51)
8:51 pm. Bake in combo cooker, pot as bottom, skillet as top, covered, 470/450, 15 minutes.
9:06 pm. Still covered, lower temp to 430/410. 16 minutes.
9:22 pm. Uncover, lower temp to 420/400. 14 minutes.
9:36 pm. Still uncovered, lower temp to 400/380. 27 minutes.
9:58 pm. Internal temp: 209.5 F. Put back in oven.
10:03 pm. Took out. Temp still 209.5 F. Call it done.
Total bake time: 1 hour, 12 minutes. (8:51 - 10:03)
That Vit C really made a difference, giving a good balance of extensibility to elasticity of the dough. And allowed that to occur at a lower hydration so that it did not take too much time to bake off the moisture.
I credit the Loafers in general, and DanAyo in particular, in encouraging me to precisely measure and record hydration, to use 14% prefermented flour, and to try out vitamin C.
Not a big oven spring, not an impressive bursting score line, but it finished baking in 74 minutes, ten minutes quicker than previous bakes, probably because of less water to cook off.
I'm still going to have to experiment with autolyse, bulk ferment, and final proof times, in order to get better oven spring.
More importantly, the crumb, while not Instagram-worthy, was still light and airy enough, that a non-baker would not guess that it was home-milled near 100% whole-grain.
I've also come to learn that you can't skimp on salt with 100% whole-grain. I was trying to go low-sodium with 1.6% salt. But 2% salt is needed for dough development when using near 100% whole grain.
I've also concluded that Kamut doesn't go well with hard white spring wheat, in terms of taste. So I'm going to try mixing in some hard red spring wheat, instead of Kamut, for flavor. And then try a separate loaf of 100% Kamut. I do like Kamut for flat breads, which durum is known for. Kamut is very very close to durum, genetically, and in baking characteristics.