[2017-015] Oatmeal Porridge Loaf
I do believe this was the first of many many loaves that where I added rolled oats. The way in which I added them continues to change and evolve, but on my first attempt, I actually precooked them.
- 1 cup Quaker rolled oats
- 1.5 cups water
- Bring to a boil, reduce to low and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool while still covered.
- 450g King Arthur bread flour
- 50g sprouted whole spelt flour
- 300g water
- 12.5g salt
- 250g cooked oatmeal porridge
- Mix flour, spelt flour, starter, and 250g of the water
- Rest for 30 minutes
- Add salt and remaining 50g of water into the dough
- Turns at 30 minute intervals for 3 hours, mixing the oat porridge in a bit at a time at every turn after the first one
I don't have baking times for this loaf, but it was almost certainly 450° for 20 minutes covered followed by 12-15 minutes uncovered.
My tasting notes say that this was a very well risen loaf, moist and fluffy, with excellent flavor. This would turn out to be a pivotal loaf for me, as the addition of oatmeal proved to make a huge different in my loaves from this point forward.