Tip of the day
So I found myself out of bread midweek after devouring last week's Broa de Milho bake and decided to do a midweek yeasted bread to tide me over. Started off with a simple whole spelt recipe then added a poolish, tangzhong and honey. Here was the progression...
500g whole spelt
5g dried yeast
Re-done for a poolish (30% flour prefermented), tangzhong (5% of the flour) and honey...
150g whole spelt
0.5g dried yeast
25g whole spelt
All of Poolish
All of Tangzhong
325g whole spelt
25g water (plus extra! which you add when making the final dough till it feels right. should feel tacky. it needed quite a bit more)
- 1. Make the poolish 12 hours before
- 2. Make the tangzhong 20 minutes before giving it time to cool before the final dough.
- 3. Form the final dough with all the ingredients. I did not add any extra yeast but it did take a while to bulk ferment. Feel free to add a little extra yeast to the final dough.
- 4. Give the dough some gentle stretch and folds every 20 - 30 minutes till it feels right and the bulk ferment is done.
- 5. Shape and final proof till ready.
- 6. Bake.
Now this is very important! When it comes to eating... toast the bread and dip it into pumpkin seed oil. You can thank me later :)