100% Whole wheat Irish soda bread
100% whole wheat Irish soda bread
Today's bake is a Jane Mason, inspired, 100% whole wheat Irish soda bread. Boy they don't call it quick bread for nothing! If you are interested in Ms. Masons, original formula, you can find it on her web site. Virtuous Bread http://www.virtuousbread.com/about/
My interpretation, is a hybrid of the white flour soda bread I make and Ms. Masons formula. The following are some of the extras I added.1. Baking powder
2. Caraway seed...
3. Orange zest
5. Raisins and dry cranberry
7. Greek Yogurt
8. Black strap molasses
The bread is out of the oven cooling, the house smells divine!
1. All the ingredients and implements, assembled in my tiny kitchen.
2. The fat (butter) cut in and the liquid added; ready to mix.
3. all the ingredients incorporated and the dough shaped.
4. Out of the oven, smelling great. After dinner my official taster, (wife) will get the first slice!
By Will F.Ingredients Dry
- 650 Grams White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 TBS. Caraway seed
- 2 TBS. Orange zest
- 4 TBS. butter
- 1 cups raisins & 1 cup dry cranberry
- Egg beaten
- 450 grams reduced fat butter milk
- 150 grams plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 TBS. Black strap molasses
- In a big mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, caraway seeds and orange zest
- Cut in butter until it reaches a coarse meal consistency. I used a pastry knife.
- Add raisins and cranberry
- Combine liquids separately. Add liquids to dry ingredients.
- Mix until a soft dough forms. At some point it will become hard to stir it, and it will be better to use your hands. Kneading the dough is the best way to combine all the ingredients completely. The dough will be sticky, use wet hands to keep it from sticking. Do not add more flour. Knead right in the bowl, as little as possible to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Shape the dough into A ball, place it on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten the ball slightly and cut an X about 1/4" deep in the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.