Authentic Ramadan Pide (www.40firinekmek.com)
In my country, arrival of Ramadan is easily noticed by the long lines in front of the bakeries and the tempting smell of pides wafting into the streets. It is a special type of flatbread with an incomparable aroma and flavor. This recipe will yield the delicious authentic pide made by the bakeries during Ramadan time. Enjoy!
4½ cups bread flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups water, lukewarm
½ cup milk
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon yogurt
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon nigella seeds or sesame seeds3 pides (8" diameter)
1. In a bowl, combine ¼ of the yeast and 1 cup of the flour and stir to mix. Add ½ of the water and form a a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
2. Put the dough in a container with a lid and place it in the lowest shelf of the refrigerator. Leave the dough overnight.
3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 2-3 hours.
4. If making by hand, mix the rest of the dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to mix. Add in the fermented dough. Knead well for 10 minutes. The dough will be very soft and wet which might make it a little hard to handle.
5. If using a mixer, fitted with the dough hook, mix the rest of the dough ingredients and add the fermented dough. Knead for 6-7 minutes. The dough will be very soft and wet which might make it a little hard to handle.
6. Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
7. Place the baking stone on the lowest rack of the oven; remove any other racks to ease access. Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees F (250 degrees C).8. With a spoon, carefully tip one-third of the dough at a time on to the pizza peel generously dusted with flour. Using floured hands, roll out into a 8" (20cm) circle about 1/2" (1 cm) thick, making sure dough does not stick to the peel. Leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Make two more pides in the same way.
9. Using the opposite end of a wooden spoon make deep indentations on the dough as in the picture. Mix the egg yolk, water and the yogurt for the glaze and brush over the pide. Decorate with nigella seeds or sesame seeds.
10. Place an oven-safe pan with boiling water in the oven to create steam.
11. Place the pide carefully on the hot baking stone. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crusty and place in a towel as soon as it is out of the oven. If the top bakes too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
12. Serve warm.