Are YOU addicted to baking bread? :)
I just HAD to share this from a friend of mine (who really has worked in the addiction treatment field, and is a great baker) when I wondered whether I was getting addicted to baking - enjoy!
"I don't see the clear signs of addiction:
- The constant urge to bake despite the negative consequences of doing so, such as your partner pleading with you to stop and/or they're contemplating the end of the relationship because of your constant baking (assuming that you haven't chosen a partner based on THEIR bread lust);
- Where all your friends are bread crazed ne're-do-wells who only encourage you to bake, bake, bake and they're never around when you're out of flour;
- Where all you money is squandered on flour and bread related paraphernalia;
- Where you find yourself lying about your flour purchases and minimizing the loaves you have baked. ("It's only a few buns...");
- Where you wake up in the morning and your partner tells you that you've baked 10 loaves and you cannot recall doing so:
- Where most of your time is spent in bread related pursuits to the detriment of necessary life activities;
- Where you experience physical withdrawal symptoms whenever you have not been baking, most often following a period of heavy baking;
- Where making only one loaf isn't as satisfying any more and you're noticing an increased tolerance for multiple loaf recipes.
If you see yourself here, get help fast."