The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

scoring knife

erg720's picture

scoring knife

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to get the small knife with the blade.

The one that u need actually attach the blade to the plastic holder.

I want to buy it but it seems she have no name or some' like that.

P.R call her Lame or Metal pastry bench blade. And still no result at any site.

Please help me with this one:

I need a global site that sells the knife and her common name.




paulav's picture


Here is a link to King Arthur Flour's website

that offers a couple of different tools which may work for you.  In my own baking, I simply use a nice sharp serrated bread knife on larger items or a small knife or scissors for rolls.  Another option is to use a single edged razor blade.  Hope this helps,  Paulav

GabrielLeung1's picture
paulav's picture

Yes, that too :-)   Also, I just came across a posting here on TFL that discusses and shows pictures of different tools to use

flournwater's picture

Look at this page:

and scroll down to:

Lame Baker's Blade

latida's picture

I use a wooden coffee stir stick (free at your local coffee emporium and you only need a couple every now and then). Just "thread" a double edge razor blade onto it. In my experience it is sharper and works better than the commercial ones. It's also cheap enough that you don't mind throwing it away and crafting a new one if it seems it's not doing the job any more.


erg720's picture

You did help all of you.


cake diva's picture
cake diva

Because my husband doesn't have those double-edged shaving blades.  With disposable and electric razors, do they still make them?  He claims not.-- cake diva

paulav's picture

Yes, I think you can buy the single edged ones at a beauty supply store (they are used in straight edge razors for hair cutting) and maybe in the hardware stores.

Larry Clark's picture
Larry Clark

Yes, double edge blades are still available at most drug stores and pharmacies. These days they are usally under lock and key and you have to ask for them.

gosiam's picture

Yes, as others said earlier, the name for the tool is lame.  Expensive and it worked for me on my first few breads and after that it dragged the dough all over the place.  Then my dentist-friend came to the rescue with a lancet, again, barely slashed through six baguettes.  Finally, taking the advice of Mr. Snyder, I started looking for a tomato knife.  I found it in the Gourmet Warehouse (in this part of the world), CA$8.00 and it works like a charm.  Absolutely, could not ask for anything more.  I highly recommend it!


Yumarama's picture

I found my tomato knife at a Loblaws / Fortino / President's Choice grocery store, for a measly Loonie. It's awesome. So I splurged and bought a spare.

Cheap-o tomato knife

Makes a world of difference. My slicing still sucks but now I can't blame the blade.


dwcoleman's picture

I bought five of these, two for slashing, and three for backup when the other two need replacing.

I tried a safety razor on a coffee stick but I found that it stuck in the dough too much.

ilovetodig's picture

I have used scalpel blade with good results--new of course.

SurebetVA's picture

I do the same thing as Latida.  I worked as head baker at a Vie de France Bakery (The Wholesale a small factory) for 7 years back in the 90's and this is all we ever used was a double edged razor blade.  We had small metal sticks instead of coffee stirrers but now I use anything that does the trick as a handle. 





Eidetix's picture

I can't slash worth a damn, but if I could, I think the breakaway knives I bought at Home Depot for $1.29 each would work fine.

They are razors with a long vertical edge that retract into a plastic sheath. Blades are sharp on one side only. I think they are made to be discarded when the blade dulls or breaks.

They are not sold online by Home Depot, but here's the link if you're curious: