This year I've decided I want to be a pro, become a baker. Make pretty and delicious bread that a lot will enjoy.
Last tuesday, I bought called Della Fattoria and baked my first loaf (from the book) a White Sandwich Bread the next day.
The recipe yielded to a kilo of dough, not wanting to end up with a lot of bread I halved the recipe.
With 75% hydration bread on an inexperienced hands I struggled in kneading everything was sticking everywhere, 45 min to an hour of kneading, but still couldn't get a good windowpane. Tired, I put down the dough and proceeded with the instructions. I'll just cut the story short, it was bad. I got a dense bread with gummy crumb and no oven spring. Although it did taste nice from the Virgin Olive Oil it was yuck.
During the night before I looked for videos in youtube and scoured the net (and this site) on handling and discovered Richard Betinet's Stretch and Fold technique. He mentioned using strong bread flour in one of the videos, so from using APF as the recipe I decided I'll use Bread flour.
I made two loaves from the same recipe, one from APF and another from BF, using the S&F technique the BF worked wonderful, not as sticky as the other one. Fermented for an hour, preshaped, final shaping, proofing, then I baked the loaves thinking it'll come out good now. :P I was deceived, by the smell, and looks. Sliced it in half, and found a gummy crumb
3 fails in two days was tiring. :P So I found my way in this site's forum.
Thanks to the helpful bunch that helped me! I finally made a yummy white bread! :D
- Use BF than APF
- S&F for 10 - 15 min. until window pane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
- Dough is ready for baking when it is taut and responsive
- Bake on the middle rack, using gas oven where heat element is on "top and heat comes from panels on the side" (fattoria pg 16)
- Use Sylvia's steam (I only used one pan with wet towel, microwaved for 1 min) on the bottom,and squirt water on the sides as well (to help) http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/20162/oven-steaming-my-new-favorite-way
- Preheat oven at 500F, then bring down to 400F - 450F. Over a baking tray bake for 20 -30 min in pan, 10 min w/o pan.
- Bake till internal temp of bread is 195 to 205°F