Pain Méteil d'Auvergne
I used the formula from "The Rye Baker" Auvergne Rye-Wheat Boule with a few changes.
- I used whole wheat flour for the wheat sponge, just to get the % of whole grains up
- I fermented the sponges in the fridge, per an option in the formula
- I held back 10% of the water in the final dough for bassinage
- I used KA bread flour instead of the AP in the formula for more volume
- I added a bit more water because of the whole wheat and bread flours vs the AP in the formula
- I made a double batch and shaped it into one oval loaf that came in at 1869g / 4.1lb
Photos at Rye-Wheat of Auvergne photos
As promised, it has a dense but tender crumb and a nice flavor. The bread flour in the double batch pushed the loaf up against the lid of the cast iron stove-top smoker that I use as a dutch oven for baking; look closely and you'll indentations on top from the grill pan interior of the lid.