For my first foray into baking with spelt flour, I made a loaf with 50% spelt, 50% bread flour. The spelt was stone-ground from a local water mill. Using a kitchen sifter I was able to sift out a little bran, which I scalded with water and left overnight. The amount of extraction was only around 6 - 7%, though. The bread flour was King Arthur's. The total amount of flour exclusive of the starter was 420g plus a few more for the bran scald.
To try to counter the lower amount or grade of gluten that spelt is reputed to have, I used a little more salt than I usually would, a lightly lower hydration - 70% including the starter ingredients - and more starter (35%) than I otherwise would have to get a faster fermentation. I also included the starter and salt in the initial mix. This was a hand mix, just enough to hydrate the flour and mix everything reasonably uniformly.
After a rest of 30 minutes, I kneaded and stretched the dough briefly, and then did two more S&F sessions after 30 and 45 minutes. For this last one, the dough had enough extensibility that I stretched it between my hands so I could pull it out further than I could have using coil folds in its tub.
The dough had doubled in 4 hours, and I shaped it without needing a preform. I stretched it and worked it enough that it seemed to have enough elasticity to proof free-form, and I shaped the dough into a batarde loaf. After proofing covered for 45 minutes, I slashed it and started the bake with initial steam.
You can see from the photos that this all worked very well and produced an attractive, well risen loaf with a reasonably open crumb for this kind of flour. The crumb seems a little soft. and it has a good flavor subtly richer than ordinary whole wheat usually does.