Lithuanian Black Rye and 40% Emmer and Einkorn
Two fun bakes this weekend... A Lithuanian Black Rye recipe that I found on IG, and my 40% Whole Grain (Emmer and Einkorn). All the whole grain flours in both breads are fresh milled using berries from Janie's Mill.
LITHUANIAN BLACK RYE
100g Whole Rye flour
1) Combine ingredients and ferment at 76 deg F for 8-10 hours
20g Fermented Red Rye Malt (Solod)
30g Whole Rye Flour
10g Caraway Seed
4g Coriander Powder
48g Molasses (Blackstrap)
130g Water (boiling)
1) Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add boiling water and stir until no dry ingredients present.
2) Cover and cool on countertop for 1-2 hours
200g Whole Rye Flour
150g Whole Wheat Flour
1) Combine flours and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together and create a well.
2) Combine water, honey, scald, and rye sour in flour well and mix to combine.
3) Mix in flour salt blend until all flour is wet.
4) Hand mix/knead for 20 minutes. Dough is sticky. Use wet hands to minimize stickiness.
5) Place in oiled bowl and bulk ferment for 4 hours at 76 deg F
6) Roughly shape dough and place in loaf pan. Press dough evenly into pan with wetted spatula. Smooth top.
7) Final proof for 1-2 hours at 76 deg F. Let dough roughly double in size until first few pin holes present in surface
8) Preheat oven to 465 deg F. Lightly mist dough surface. Bake at 465 deg F for 40-50 minutes.
This bake went very smoothly until the very end. I didn't quite oil my pan enough and the loaf stuck all the way around the very top edge. It easily released when I ran a knife along it. Made a "glossy" edge around the top perimeter, but it softened as the loaf matured overnight. Really happy with how open the crumb is on this bread!
NOTE: No beer was used in the recipe. I just thought a Russian Imperial Stout was the perfect "celebratory" beverage for this bake. :-)
40% WHOLE GRAIN (EMMER AND EINKORN)
45g Bread Flour
1) Combine all ingredients and ferment at 70 deg F for 12 hours
Blueberry Yeast Water Poolish
45g Bread Flour
54g Blueberry Yeast Water
1) Combine ingredients and ferment at 76 deg F for 12 hours
Whole Grain Autolyse
90g Whole Grain Emmer
90g Whole Grain Einkorn
1) Combine ingredients and mix until all four is wet. Cover and rest on counter for 60 minutes before final mix.
67.5g All Purpose Flour
112.5g Bread Flour
58.5g Blueberry Yeast Water
1) Combine final dough ingredients except salt with the levain and poolish. Mix until flours wetted.
2) Fermentolyse 15 minutes
3) Laminate the whole grain autolyse, final dough fermentolyse, and salt. Thoroughly mix with pinch and squeeze.
4) Rest 15 minutes
5) 4 sets of bowl kneading with 10 minute rests. Bassinage an additional 2-3% water if needed.
6) Bulk ferment at 76 deg F. Folds at 45 minute intervals until dough is "puffy". Roughly 3-3.5 hours. Allow dough to bulk roughly 75%.
7) Preshape and bench rest 30 minutes
8) Final shape and proof at 76 deg F. I proofed for 75 minutes and then refrigerated for 2.5 hours while we made and ate dinner.
9) Preheat oven to 465 deg F and set for steaming. Bake at 465 deg F (2 minutes); 400 deg F (18 minutes); vent oven; 440 deg F (20-25 minutes) until a hollow thump.
Really happy with how this loaf turned out. Great oven spring and crumb for a 40% whole grain loaf with Emmer and Einkorn.