Carrot rye experiment
I haven't posted for a while since I've been busy and wasn't baking anything particularly interesting. But there have been a few posts about different carrot rye bread variations recently, and I was curious about this idea. I decided to make a big "experiment" out of it this past long weekend, and combined different techniques and ingredients to see what comes out.
Here is the formula and brief method description: https://fgbc.dk/2h9c
To walk you through it, I had:
- Scald with rye schrot, grated carrot, and caraway
- Altus - old dried up rye bread, soaked with hot water (I kept all the water, didn't wring it out)
- Overnight preferment including the previous two stages and a little more rye schrot
- Final dough with whole rye flour, some high extraction wheat flour (ruchmehl), malt extract, and IDY for lift
Scald needed some extra water relative to what I planned because of all the carrot... Otherwise it wasn't even covered by the liquid. No problem, just add less water to the final dough. Scald was at 65C for around 8 hrs.
All fermentation was done at elevated temperature (above 28C, final dough at above 30C).
Sprinkled pumpkin and sunflower seeds on top of the dough in the pans.
Baked in loaf pans to make my life easier, and to allow a wetter dough. Filled pans a little over half way, and stopped final proof when dough almost reached the top, and it felt very fragile, with pinholes starting to appear.
Here is what I got after baking (a few min at 280C, then lowered to 230, then 200, for around 40 min).
The crumb is ridiculously moist, and yet almost not gummy. I can almost get some water to come out of it when pressing on the crumb, like a sponge. I've never seen anything like this.
The flavour is very pleasant. A lot of complexity, I can taste the caraway, and a little of the maltiness, but nothing dominates. Can't say I actually taste the carrot, although there was so much of it, and it is clearly visible in the crumb. Not sure why there are some spots of dense dough in the bread, I wonder if I simply didn't mix it well enough... But they aren't really bothering me. The top crust is a little separated, and the top is a little concave, so perhaps I overproofed just a little. But no big deal.
Very interesting result in the end, enjoyable and unusual bread!