Convert Food Recipe to Spreadsheet
Looking for ideas to convert a typical food recipe to a spreadsheet. I would like to use the sheet to size the recipe up and down and want to portion out in grams.
My first thought is to use the main ingredient (in the case below, crab meat) as 100% and everything else as a percentage of that ingredient. I am prepared to weight each ingredient to describe it in a grams instead of cups.
To make the Crab Cakes, you will need:
- 1 pound fresh blue crab meat, preferably all lump (a mix of lump and claw also works well, and is almost as wonderful. It's just different).
- 1/4 Cup good bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 1/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt to taste. We use 1/2 tsp./lb. of crab.
- Permissible additions: 1/4 tsp of Old Bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, Dijon mustard or Worcestershire sauce (pick no more than two)
- Butter (please, please cook them in butter)