January 13, 2021 - 10:56am
A Rye Recipe by Doves Farm
Here is what looks like an interesting rye recipe from Doves Farm. Since TFL has had a rye revival just thought I'd share it here.
BLACK RYE COB LOAF:
- 50g black treacle
- 50g plain chocolate
- 150ml milk
- 200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
- 300g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 150ml tepid water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- oil, for tray
- flour, for dusting
- water, for brushing
- Put the treacle, chocolate and milk into a saucepan over a medium heat, stir until melted but not boiling then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the cool milk mixture and the water.
- Stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 50 presses.
- Cover the dough with an upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a large baking tray.
- Put the caraway seeds onto a plate.
- Knead the dough for 50 presses and shape the dough into a ball.
- Brush a little water onto the dough ball and roll it on the plate of caraway seeds.
- Put the dough, seeded side up, on the prepared tray.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned bowl and leave to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool.
Equipmentlarge baking tray, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
220˚C, Fan 200˚C, 425˚F, Gas 7
Cooking time35-40 minutes