How long can sourdough be retarded?
I need advice on how long a SD can be retarded? My issue is, I have mixed up the dough and retarded it to be baked today, but it seems it’ll have to wait three more days before I can bake it; would it over ferment by then? I know some recipe retard their dough about this long or even longer, but they are planned, so I’m not sure what would happen to mine.
Here is the recipe I used:
- White flour 270g (60ish gram of bread flour the rest is AP)
- Whole wheat starter 60g (100% hydration)
- Water 195g
- Salt 9g
- Oil 12g
In terms of baker percentage:
White flour 90% (80:20ish AP:BF)
Whole wheat 10%
Tangzhong 5% taken from AP and 25% of the water
Ambient temp around 29c +/-
My process was
- mixing everything except oil and let rest for one hour for a sort-of autolyse
- mix in oil, rest another 30 min
- then stretch and fold every 30 miniutes for 6 rounds
- bulk at room temp for 1.5 hour; by eyeballing it appears to grow about 30-50%
- Pre-shape into a boule; I over tighten the surface and it tear. Rest in cover bowl 15 min. At this point, dough is quite sticky dusting is absorbed within a short while I have to wet the scraper instead. It seems to hold shape at first but spread out after sometime.
- Shape into batard. Try to use a whole lot more dusting but everything is a mess at this point; the result was probably no different from unshape dough. It was quite sticky and probably could not hold shape anymore that I started suspect if it had already over fermented.
- Plop into oiled tin then plastic bag and retard in the fridge anyway.
- Its been retarded for about 24 hour now; and have to go on for another 60 hours or so. Looking through the droplets on the bag, it seems to have puffed up quite a bit
What do you guys think will happen to my dough?