Pumpkin Sourdough Bread
Here's my take on a sourdough bread made with pumpkin puree. I didn't include any pumpkin seeds or pepitas in the mix, but on second thought those would have been an amazing inclusion! Here's the specs of the dough, the process, and a video of the whole bake.
10g Sourdough Starter from the fridge
25g Whole Wheat Flour
25g Bread Flour
Final Dough Build
400g Bread Flour
50g Whole Wheat Flour
290g Water (use 250g for a more manageable dough)
200g Pumpkin Puree
- Feed starter (levain build) in PM of Day 1
- Mix all dough ingredients together at the same time on AM of Day 2. Let ingredients rest for 30 min.
- Stretch and Fold #1. Rest 30 min.
- Stretch and Fold #2. Rest 30 min.
- Stretch and Fold #3. Let the dough finish bulk fermenting for 3.5 more hours.
- Pre-shape into a round. Rest 30 min.
- Final shape dough into a round boule.
- Proof overnight in a banneton in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 500°F with dutch oven inside for 30 min.
- Remove dough from fridge. Score and transfer on parchment paper to the dutch oven.
- Bake with lid on for 20 min at 500°F.
- Remove lid and bake for another 15 min at 500°F.
Overall this bread was great but the dough was a bit sticky for my liking. I will opt for using just 250g of water next time to lower the hydration. Next time I will also add maybe 50-100g of toasted pepita seeds to the dough during stretch and folds to add to the pumpkin feel of the bread.