Abel's Baguette Rústica con Semillas de Girasol
Rustic/Country Baguettes with Sunflower Seeds.
Abel Sierra (Abelbreadgallery) sent a DM to me last week with a link to his new video where he makes this bread. I asked if I could post this and he said yes. And of course I wouldn't post it without giving it a whirl myself. In this case, three whirls to get a version of the formula that I was satisfied with.
On the first run I soaked both sunflower and flax seeds. Attempting to incorporate during the tail end of 200 French Folds the sliminess of the flax seeds created a problem, and I wasn't happy with the outcome. For the second run I eliminated the soaker part as well as the flax seeds, and bumped the hydration up a few clicks. Still not content, I ran this third time, dropping the FFs down from 200 to 125, incorporating the toasted seeds at the first and only Letter Fold. I also combined a 20 minute proofing on countertop and 2 hours of retard.
Abel's formula is posted at the bottom.
My changes to his formula:
- 100% hydration WW levain instead of Abel's AP.
- French Folds - limited to 125, split in two.
- No soaker, just toasted sunflower seeds.
- Combine countertop and refrigerator proof.
- Rolled out to the longer 20 inch version, 50% longer than my standard long batards. Lost 1 inch during bake.
Note, these don't like to exhibit a dark and rich color on the crust. For a 27% WW flour mix, these had a moderately open crumb. The flavor is quite nice and rich and the crust is thin and quite crunchy. Still working on shaping, a bit more difficult due to the seeds.
|Baguette Rústica con Semillas de Girasol|
|Abel Sierra, mod by alfanso|
|Total Dough Weight (g)||1100||Prefermented||9.10%|
|Total Formula||Liquid Levain||Final Dough|
|Total Flour||100.00%||583.7||100.00%||53.1||Final Flour||530.6|
|AP Flour||72.70%||424.4||0%||0.0||AP Flour||424.4|
|Whole Wheat||27.30%||159.4||100%||53.1||Whole Wheat||106.2|
|Water cool||72.70%||424.4||100%||53.1||Water cool||371.2|
|toasted Sunflower (soaked)||13.60%||79.4||Sunflower Seeds||79.4|
|Starter (in final dough)||2.28%||13.3||25%||13.3|
|1 stage liquid levain build @100% hydration|
|Toast sunflower seeds.||Stage 1|
|Autolyse Flour, cool Water. 20 Min.||AP Flour||0.0|
|Levain Salt, IDY.||Water||53.1|
|FF: 75, 5min., 50,||Total||53.1|
|Bulk ~2 Hr.. LF@60 min. Fold in seeds on LF.|
|Divide, pre-shape, 15 min rest, shape as baguettes|
|Shape as Baguettes @350g each|
|Moderate flour on couche, seam side up|
|Proof 20 min. coutnertop, ~2 hrs. retard.|
|Steam, bake @480dF. 17 min with steam, 6 min more at 430dF.|
350g x 3 baguettes.
Here is a screen capture from Abel's video.
And the formula as given to me by Abel.
700 gr bread flour, 300 gr wholewheat flour, 700 ml cool water (10-12ºC), 200 gr liquid levain, 21 gr salt, 6 gr fresh yeast, 150 gr of soaked seeds (toasted sunflower + raw flaxseeds + water)
- Make autolyse mixing bread flour, wholewheat and cool water, just 1-2 minutes in slow speed. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Add levain, salt and yeast. Mix 7-8 minutes in slow speed, and then 3 minutes in second speed. Add seeds at the end of the mixing process.
- The temperature of the dough should be around 24-25ºC at the end of the mixing process.
- Let the dough rest 1 hour. Make one fold and let rest 1 hour more.
- Divide in pieces of 350 gr. Preshape and let rest 15-20 minutes.
- Shape baguettes and place over linen couche with the seam up.
- Let proof 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake at high temperature. I suggest 17 minutes at 260-240ºC, then release the steam and reduce temperature to 230-210ºC the last 6 minutes.