The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Stout and 2-Year Old White Cheddar Sourdough with Oats

Danni3ll3's picture

Stout and 2-Year Old White Cheddar Sourdough with Oats

I was checking out my bookmarks to see what to make next and Antony Power’s Irish Stout, oats and cheddar cheese sourdough really appealed to me. I scaled it for 3 loaves, used a bit more whole grain, added a bit of yogurt and changed the method to follow my usual procedure. I hope it turns out as well as his.



180 g oats

300 g stout beer (Sawdust City Skinny Dippin' Stout)



720 g Unbleached flour 

200 g high extraction (sifted) Selkirk wheat flour (270 g Selkirk berries)

100 g high extraction (sifted) Rye flour (120 g Rye berries)

600 g water 

26 g Pink Himalayan salt 

30 g yogurt

250 g Levain (procedure in recipe)

125 g 2 Year Old White Cheddar, finely cubed 

Extra unbleached flour to feed the levain


Mid afternoon the day before:

  1. Mill the Selkirk and Rye berries and sift to separate the high extraction flour from the bran.
  2. Place 200 g of sifted Selkirk wheat flour and 100 g of sifted rye flour in a tub and add the unbleached flour to it. Cover and set aside. 
  3. Save the bran and the left over high extraction flours for feeding the levain. 
  4. Take 18 g of refrigerated starter and feed it 18 g of filtered water and 18 g of the reserved bran. Let rise in a warm place. 

The night before:

  1. Before going to bed, feed the levain 36 g of water and 36 g high extraction flour. Let that rest in a warm spot overnight.
  2. Cut the cheese into very small cubes, sprinkle with a bit of flour, toss and place covered into the fridge.

Dough making day:

  1. In the morning, feed the levain 72 g of filtered water and 72 g of high extraction/AP flour and let rise 4-5 hours in a warm spot. 
  2. The plan was to mix the soaker together and cover. Then two hours or so before the levain is ready, to put the soaker in a stand mixer’s bowl and add the water. And using a dough hook, to mix to loosen the mass and add the flours from the tub.  
  3. Well, I forgot to soak the oats in the stout and I went out. I didn’t realize this until I got home. So the stout, the water, the oats and the flours all went in together for the autolyse. 
  4. Mix on the lowest speed until you have a shaggy dough with no dry spots. This takes a couple of minutes. Autolyse for a couple of hours at room temperature. 
  5. Once the levain is ready, add the salt, the yogurt, and the levain to the bowl. Mix on the lowest speed for a minute to integrate everything, then mix on the next speed up for 5 minutes. About half way through the 5 minutes, add the cheese cubes.
  6. Remove dough from bowl and place in a covered tub. Let rest 30 minutes in a warm spot (oven with the door cracked open and the lights on). 
  7. Do 4 sets of stretches and folds at 30 minute intervals, then do two more sets on hourly intervals. After the last fold, place the dough in the fridge for a couple of hours. The dough rose about 40%.
  8. Tip the dough out on a bare counter, sprinkle the top with flour and divide into portions of 850 g. Round out the portions into rounds with a dough scraper and let rest 60 minutes on the counter. 
  9. Do a final shape by flouring the rounds and flipping the rounds over on a lightly floured counter. Gently stretch the dough out into a circle. Pull and fold the third of the dough closest to you over the middle. Pull the right side and fold over the middle and do the same to the left. Fold the top end to the center patting out any cavities or big bubbles. Finally stretch the two top corners and fold over each other in the middle. Roll the bottom of the dough away from you until the seam is underneath the dough. Cup your hands around the dough and pull towards you, doing this on all sides of the dough to round it off. Finally spin the dough to make as tight boule as you can. I must say that the dough felt super nice! 
  10. Sprinkle half rice/half AP flour in the bannetons. Place the dough seam side down in the bannetons. Let rest for a few minutes on the counter and then put to bed in a cold (38F) fridge for 9-10 hours. 

Baking Day

  1. The next morning, heat the oven to 475F with the Dutch ovens inside for 45 minutes to an hour. Turn out the dough seam side up onto a cornmeal sprinkled counter. Place rounds of parchment paper in the bottom of the pots, and carefully but quickly place the dough seam side up inside. 
  2. Cover the pots and bake the loaves at 450 F for 30 minutes, remove the lids, and bake for another 17 minutes at 425 F. Internal temperature should be 205F or more.



I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. 😊


Bread1965's picture

Beer, bread and cheese all in one.. with oats for heart health!  Wow..

I ask you.. can life get any better?

Danni3ll3's picture

and then I can answer. 😉

isand66's picture

Can't wait to hear how it tastes.  I know it will be couldn't it not?

I don't think you have to worry too much about skipping the soaking.  I've used dry oats many times as it worked fine.



Danni3ll3's picture

would take care of the soaking especially when I leave it for a couple of hours. I used to make a honey oat bread in the bread machine and I didn’t soak the oats for that either. It’s good to know that I don’t need to make a soaked or porridge each time I use flakes of some kind. 

Danni3ll3's picture

a couple of weeks ago. I bought muslin bags for my customers to take and keep their loaf. Once home, I tell them to put the loaf bag and all into an air tight container such as a lidded pot or a cookie tin. When they pick up their next loaf, they bring the bag back and I wash it. The bread keeps nicely and the planet has a few less plastic bags to deal with. 

isand66's picture

thats good thinking 💭 

Truth Serum's picture
Truth Serum

That looks great!

Danni3ll3's picture

Danni3ll3's picture

is much more subtle than I expected. Everything blends together nicely. 

isand66's picture

 Nice crumb.

dabrownman's picture

2 year old ancient cheddar has to put to good use.  Love the crumb on this one too and the bags are good idea especially you can charge them for the washing.  I draw the lime at ironing them though:-)   Ironing is good job for the apprentices come to think of it.:-)  

If you got some potato in these it would be perfect Ian bread for sure!  Well done and happy baking Danni

Elsie_iu's picture

The flavor of beer was very pronounced when I substituted it for part of the water. Dabrownman is right: this looks almost like an Ian bread. You need to put in some caramelized onions in addition to potatoes though :)

I like the idea of a savory oatmeal loaf. No reason to let sweet add-ins steal the show!

Danni3ll3's picture

of caramel and a touch of bitterness. I don’t taste any bitterness at all in the bread. I’ve had two people tell me that they love the bread and have almost eaten a whole loaf already! And they picked up their loaves 4-5 hours ago! 😳

ifs201's picture

Hi Danni,


Thinking about making this for Father's Day. Looks amazing! I would rather knead by hand than by mixer. For the 10 minutes of kneading (5 before cheese and 5 after), should I do that FWSY pincer method that I'm used to, or would you recommend French slap and fold? If so, how much slap and folding? Thanks! 

Danni3ll3's picture

I had great success doing 3 sets of French slaps and folds on 30 minute intervals. The first set was 75 slaps, second set was 40 and the last set 10. Then I went to regular folds in the tub. 

I hope this helps and let me know how it turns out. 😊

ifs201's picture

Thank you for your advice and inspiration! I pretty much followed exactly, but I added caramelized onions and 1/4 tsp instant yeast because it is only my 2nd loaf using my starter and I was nervous. I did leave in the fridge a bit longer (12 hours). I thought it tasted great! My only issues were 1) I wish the crumb were a bit more open and 2) I should have made sure there was no exposed cheese at the bottom of the loaf because the oil resulted in a scorched bottom. Lesson learned! 


Danni3ll3's picture

The open crumb can be a bit tricky to get. It has to do with good gluten development and proper timing of the two fermented stages. And to prevent the burned bottom, either raise your pots in the oven or put something like a cookie sheet on a rack below to diffuse the heat a bit. I can’t remember if I put this in my post, but I also put a round of parchment to prevent sticking. 

Glad you enjoyed this recipe.