Graham's Brown Bread
With the new office job, I find myself making more pan breads, perfect for a sandwich to take to the office. I have tried many a recipe, ended up building from my Vienna Bread recipe's formula, replacing ingredients, and tweaking percentages around. I finally landed on this bread, exactly what I wanted in a brown bread. This bread makes for great sandwich bread, toasted and dipped in runny eggs in the morning, made into toast points for spreads, and with cheeses for mid-day snack on the weekends. The use of a yeast instead of sourdough, along with all of the whole grains in the preferment helps a clean wheat flavor come though as the major flavor in the bread
Graham's Brown Bread:
Preferment (~12 hours):
- 100g Water
- 100g Graham Flour
- 20g Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- Pinch of Instant Dry Yeast
- All of the Preferment
- 130g Water (Warm)
- 40g Egg (Save the rest for egg wash)
- 20g Lard (If you're scared of lard, use shortening)
- 5g Mollasas (Blackstrap, if a ligher grade is used, add a little more)
- 15g Golden Syrup (Honey will do)
- 250g Strong Flour (I use Central Milling Type 70)
- 15g Potato Flour
- 6g Salt
- Mix Preferment about 12 hours before final dough.
- Stir in Water, Egg and Sugars together until homogenous
- Mix in Flour, Fat, and Salt until shaggy dough is formed
- Rest for 20 mins, kneed until gluten is well developed
- Bulk ferment for 2 hours, folding ever half hour.
- Shape, place in greased tin (scaled for 4x8)
- Proof until 3-4 inches above sides of tin, apply egg wash as needed to keep top from drying
- Bake in pre-heated 400F oven for about 20-25 mins, or until top reaches a dark chestnut color
- Remove from tin as soon as possible, cool on rack completely before slicing.
Hope you enjoy this bread as much as I do!
I'm always up for a nice pan sandwich bread and one to dip into runny eggs. This bread looks wonderful with a nice soft texture. Thanks for sharing. I'm putting this one on my list of breads to bake.
with my mill but it probably will be a 2 or 3 stage process. Love this bread for a healthy and hearty sandwich loaf.
Well done and happy baking in 2015
Nice! Would you mind if I featured this on the homepage for a bit?
Go for it Floyd! Glad you like it.
This looks so great. Thanks for sharing.
I've found this whilst looking how to use my Graham flour. Is it correct that the only yeast in this recipe is a pinch in the pre-ferment?