The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.


markf1988's picture


Hi all, bit of a novice here seeking guidance!

left this ciabatta to proof overnight in fridge...think it's over! when I moved it to oven it was really saggy and full of air bubbles. And after the bake there are large air bubbles under the crust- is this from over proofing? 

Otherwise tastes alright!

thanks for the feedback

alschmelz's picture

Actually those large holes are characteristic of good ciabatta!  Ciabatta is a high hydration dough so it's ok that it was shaggy and the reason for the air bubbles is because of a well formed gluten structure.  When you have a well formed gluten structure it is more capable of trapping the CO2 released by the yeast.  I would say this bread is beautiful!

Breadboard's picture

Congrats Mark with your ciabatta.  Nice work!   Looks like proofing just a tad over, could have used a flip before baking to redistribute bubbles.   


WoodenSpoon's picture

but I think you are right about over proofing just a bit as indicated by the big bubbles being at the top. But also as was stated above gently flipping ciabatta is typically the way to go

Mini Oven's picture
Mini Oven

The idea is to cut or tear off a chunk and use it as an eating utensil to push or to scoop or soak up juices.  You are "on the money bread."    Big Congrats!

kenlklaser's picture

It's such a great feeling to find something that works well.

markf1988's picture

wow thanks all for your comments and encouragement!


sandydog's picture

Could you please tell us about the recipe/method, so we can attempt to replicate your success.

Thanks in anticipation,


dabrownman's picture

is the answer and the thing most novices don't do because they don't know.  Looks great otherwise.  Well done and happy baking.

alschmelz's picture

I would love to see this recipe!  I have had a lot of trouble accomplishing the very open crumb of ciabatta. 

markf1988's picture

Used this as a template:

But I kneaded it myself, it was really wet but just had to persevere, then folded it twice during the batch fermentation over 2 hours, shaped it and then final proof in fridge overnight! It was kind of a combination of several recipes haha!