Almost Purely Rye Sourdough
This is upgraded recipe for Purely Rye Sourdough from the book Brilliant Bread by James Morton. This is pretty nice loaf packed full of great flavor and really rich in taste. It goes very well with some fruit on it as a healthy afternoon snack! Scroll down for a photos...
400g Wholemeal Rye Flour
200g Sourdough Starter
100g Cooked Rye Grains
1. Mix together all ingredients into wet dough and leave to rest for 30 minutes;
2. Knead well for 20-30 minutes by hand, the best is slap and fold method, but use the method you like until gluten is well developed and dough is nicely sticky and coherent;
3. Cover the bowl and rest for 12 hours at room temperature. Dough should rise a little or nearly double in size;
4. Turn it out on to a heavily floured surface and shape it into a loaf tin shape. Move to well greased tin, spray the surface with water and cover to proof for 3-6 hours at room temperature or until double in size. Keep an eye on it and regulary spray with the water. Dough must remain nicely wet all the time during this proof;
5. Preheat the oven with baking tray inside at 240C at least 30 minutes before baking;
6. Slide the tin on the preheated baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes until the top is nicely brown in colour. Keep an eye on it and steam regulary with fresh water. It is the best to spray the top of the bread every 2-3 minute and keep it constantly wet for the first 15 minutes of baking. When the top is nicely brown, remove from the oven and bash out of the tin. Replace the bread on the baking tray and bake for another 20-30 minutes until a dark brown colour;
7. Immediately after baking place the loaf on cooling rack and properly greas it all over with sunflower or rapeseed oil. When the bread is completely cooled down to room temperature, wrap it to the baking sheet and leave to rest about 24 hours at room temperature;
8. Take the wrapped loaf, pack to the plastic bag and chuck it to the fridge overnight;
9. Slice with pretty sharp knife (but not serrated!!!) and ENJOY!
10. Store well packed in the fridge.
My sourdough starter is 100% Hydration, contains 50% basic white bread flour and 50% wholemeal rye flour. Feeded on regulary basis at 12 hours intervals. I am usually using it after 5-8 hours after the last feeding.