XXIV - Sourdough Potato Focaccia
Sourdough Potato Focaccia
Starter (70% hydration) 70g
Strong flour 100g*
T65 flour 100g (or 95g Plain flour + 5g WW)*
*(or alternatively, 195g AP + 5g WW)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 tbls
Water 155g (78%)
150 – 200g Small new potatoes (no need to peel)
1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Coarse sea salt
Optional … Parmesan cheese
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough and autolyse for 30 minutes.
- S & F 3 times in the bowl every 40 minutes or so until medium gluten development.
- Put in the fridge and cold retard for overnight – 24 hrs.
- Take it out of the fridge and leave for 30 minutes -1 hr at room temperature.
- Letter-fold the dough once or twice to give extra-strength if necessary.
- Rest until fully proofed.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the potatoes to a thickness of ₤1 coin….which may not give much clue to people outside UK. :p….it’s about 3mm thick. The important point is that the slices should be quite thin or they won’t cook in the time the dough bakes.
- Put the sliced potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, chopped garlic and salt & pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
- Spread the dough into 20-21cm X 30-31cm rectangular on a well oiled baking parchment, dimpling all over with oiled fingertips.
- Layer the potato slices over the top and scatter the rosemary and garlic over the potatoes.
11. Cover and leave for 1- 1 1/2 hours until dough increase the volume and the edges get puffed up a little.
12. Pre-heat the oven to 200 – 210 C.
13. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (if using). Drizzle with more olive oil and bake for 25- 35 minutes until golden and potatoes are soft and cooked.
Roast Turkey Sandwich with the left-over focaccia next day