80 % Rye
Hamelman's 3 stage 80
% Brotform Rye
Well I finally got a decent result in terms of a pattern from the brotform mold I purchased a few weeks back. David Snyder has given me some good tips on brotform dusting, recommending a 50/50 mix of AP and rice flour, and to just fill in between the coils of the form. Thanks David! Unfortunately it turned out I didn't have any rice flour at the time so I used what I've always used in the past and that is light rye flour. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but it's getting there.
This has been a relearning process for me, as the bakery that I've worked in for the bulk of my career has only ever made 1 rye bread and we don't use brotforms. Nor is our rye bread even remotely close to a high ratio rye.
The final weight of this loaf was 1.156 grams or 2.5 lbs. which is just the right size for the mold I have when fully proofed. The dough came together nicely but I needed to work it a bit on the counter since it was too large for my old KA to mix thoroughly. The full sour wound up getting much warmer (by 10* or more) than what Hamelman's recipe calls for, so I decided to make the final mix earlier than specified to cool the sour down a bit. The final dough had a 20 minute bulk ferment at the recommended 82*-84*. I didn't dock or score the loaf. The loaf had quite a good spring to it for a high ratio rye, setting up nicely without any splits. I'm fairly pleased with the visual result, and very happy with the flavor. The Detmolder process punches the flavor up considerably.
increased mature sour by 25%
used dark rye (Bob's Red Mill) instead of medium rye
increased baker's yeast by .5% (scaling error)
increased hydration by 1-2%