The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sandwich pans

Andrew S's picture
Andrew S

Sandwich pans


I am trying to find "proper" sandwich pans, the type with a lid that produce a square loaf.  While I am on the subject, if it does not have a lid, it is called tin bread and not sanswich. 

ironically, I used to be a bakery lecturer and we had dozens of these in use all the time.  Cant find one for love nor money now though!

Any ideas would be much apprecieated.

Many thanks,


davidg618's picture

Pullman pans, named so because they were originally made for use in the dining cars on railroads. Google Pullman pans, and you'll find lots of suppiliers.

David G

P.S. Shop around, they come in various lengths up to 19.6 inches. 16 inches is the most common, and the original length (fit the railroad kitchen ovens). I have one that is only 13 inches, and I've seen 8 or 9 inch ones at King Arthur's store.


qahtan's picture

Yes there are many about in different sizes.... qahtan