This is the recipe I use as my "Go to" for WW sandwich bread. The recipe belongs to Jani Boys but I added the Ground Flax seed as well as the vital gluten and dough enhancer (this gives my bread not only vitamin C but keeps my bread fresher on the countertop. This bread can be frozen for up to a month by putting a paper towel over the top of the cooled loaf then put into a large plastic bag like a gallon size Ziplock.
SOFT 100% WHOLE WHEAT SANDWICH BREAD
Author: Jami Boys https://anoregoncottage.com/whole-wheat-sandwich-bread-101/
An easy, soft 100% whole wheat sandwich bread with only 1 rise that will free you from buying loaves at the store!
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hours
· Notes from BJD: I used 2 1/2 cups KA bread flour 12% Protein with 4 c KA WW 14% protein flour.
· I used all the optional; vital gluten, dough conditioner & flax seed. Her original didn’t have these and it makes a very nice soft bread as well.
Yield: 2 loaves
· 6 to 6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (ww regular, ww bread, or white whole wheat all work great)
· 2–1/2 cups warm water (between 105–110 degrees)
· 1–1/2 tablespoons instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) – regular active dry yeast can be used as well
· 1/3 cup honey
· 1/3 cup oil
· 2–1/2 teaspoons salt
· 1-1/2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL
· 1-1/2 tablespoon Dough Enhancer- OPTIONAL
· 1/2 c ground Flax seed (optional)
1. Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15-20 minutes, until risen and bubbly (warmer weather takes 15 min, cooler temps usually needs 20).
2. Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten, if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), (No need to change to dough hook if using the Bosch mixer), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only a few tablespoons of flour at a time if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
3. Form into two loaves and place in greased 9×5″ pans ( I use 803g of dough per loaf in my 9x5 pans). Allow to rise in a warm place for about 40-60 minutes, or 15-30 min. longer if needed to reach 1/2 to 1-inch above pans (i.e., cold kitchens may need the longer time). Preheat oven to 350 degrees ten minutes before rising time is done.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
5. Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack. Allow to completely cool before slicing.
NUTRITION Serving Size: 1 Slice
· Calories: 110
· Sugar: 2.8g
· Sodium: 136mg
· Fat: 2.4g
· Saturated Fat: 0.3g
· Carbohydrates: 19.7g
· Fiber: 0.7g
· Protein: 2.4g
· Cholesterol: 0mg