OK still on a miso kick, not my homemade as that will take sometime yet, but red miso again. I was happy with my previous bake of miso with furikake, but decided to change it up just a bit by adding toasted black and white sesame seeds. Since I love sesame seeds and have baked a previous black and white sesame seed bread I thought that it would be great with the flavour of miso.
Bread flour 352 g
Sprouted Whole Wheat 97 g
Water 320 g
Levain 115 g 100% hydration Sprouted whole wheat
Miso paste 26 g 5.3% (My red miso paste is almost 1 g sodium per 20 g miso)
Salt 9 g 1.8%
Toasted Black and White Sesame seeds ½ cup.
Bulk Fermentation at 82ºF took in total about 5.5 hours with an aliquot jar rise of 60%. Because the aliquot jar dough doens’t undergo the coil folds of the main dough, it will overestimate the total dough rise.
1. Liquid Levain (0:00) --- I build mine at around 1:2:2 with 2ºC water and refrigerated it for about 2 hours and it was left in the proofing box turned off with the saltolyse dough.
2. Saltolyse (0:00) --- 2ºC water to which is mixed the salt and levain to dissolve, then both flours and mixed. Refrigerated for about 2 hours then placed in the proofing box turned off.
3. Add Levain (+10:00) --- The next morning, spread miso and then levain on top of dough and work in using your hands. Then 200 French folds to ensure miso and levain well incorporated.
4. Light Fold (+10:30) --- With dough on a slightly wet bench do a Letter Fold from both ways. Remove 30-50 g of dough to the aliquot jar and always keep with the main dough.
5. Lamination (+11:00) --- Place dough on wet counter and spread out into a large rectangle. Sprinkle on toasted black and white sesame seeds. Do a Letter Fold both ways.
6. Coil Fold (+11:45) --- Coil Fold
7. Coil Fold (+12:30) --- Coil Fold
8. Coil Fold (+13:15) --- Coil Fold - good window pane achieved so dough left to complete bulk untouched.
9. End of BF - Shaping (~15:30) --- Aliquot jar had 60% rise, shaping done and dough placed into banneton and into fridge at 2ºC for cold retard.
10. (21:30) Bake --- Score cold and bake in a pre-heated 500F oven for 20 minutes with steam
11. Vent Oven 20 minutes into the bake --- Vent oven and bake for 20 or more minutes at 420F then an additional 3 minutes at 350ºF.