Risking being struck by lightning from the Dark Side, Lucy came up with another white bread this week. This one was bit different since it had 20% pre-fermented flour – in the summer – twice as much as usual. It also had a 1 hour bulk ferment before shaping and no retard of the dough two additionally unusual processes.
I suppose it just shows how variable sourdough bread baking can be. This one did have a bran levain made from 9 sprouted whole grains and the levain was retarded after it doubled after the 3rd stage but only for 3 hours since the 3rd stage was 9 hours instead of 3 like it should have been.
The levain had peaked and was in the process of falling when we tossed it in the fridge – we fell asleep and it was left on the counter till 5 AM - nearly overnight. In this case the sprouted flout was almost, but not quite all in the levain
The levain didn’t seem to care that is was ignored and mistreated. When we took it out of the fridge the next morning and stirred it down, it quickly doubled again in one hour as the dough flour and water was autolyzed with the salt sprinkled on top. Perhaps the larger feeding, nearly double, of the 10 g of NMNF starter allowed it to keep itself ready and raring to do its job.
The bread ended up being 25% whole sprouted grain with the remainder being 1/3 high gluten from Smart and Final and 2/3rds bread flour from the Winco bins. The 9 grains were: spelt, red and white wheat, oat, buckwheat, rye, emmer and Kamut – our recent 9 grain mix. Overall hydration was a very low 72%.
Lucy's favorite is Pie - in this case: mango, plum, blueberry, white nectarine and white peach - Yum!
Once the levain hit the mix we did 50 slap and folds to mix it all together and get the gluten development underway in earnest. We did 2 more sets of 10 slap and folds – all on 20 minute intervals. Then we did 2 sets of 4 stretch and folds on 30 minute intervals. Then the dough rested for an hour before pre-shaping and shaping.
We placed the dough in a rice floured basket for proof. The dough proofed for 40 minute before we started the preheat of the oven to 500 F. This dough was really moving fast during bulk and proof due to the high amount of levain and the 80 F kitchen temperature. By the time the oven hit 500 F with the combo cooker inside the dough was 95% proofed – a bit more than one hour after shaping.
We un-molded the dough and slashed it quickly in a square and placed it into the combo cooker. After 18 minutes of steam at 450 F we removed the lid and continued baking at 425 F convection for 6 more minutes before removing the bread from the bottom of the cooker to finish baking it on the bottom stone. 6 minutes later it was nicely browned and tested 208 F.
The dough sprang, bloomed and blistered nicely under steam and we expect the crumb to be open, moist and soft since there weren’t huge amounts of add ins to get in the way of holes this time. We started the sprouts on Wednesday at 1 PM and the bread hit the cooling rack at 1:45 PM on Friday afternoon – a 48 hour sprouted, home milled SD – about as quick as you can get all the work done. Now we wait for the crumb shot. The crumb came out soft moist and open and the crust went soft as the bread cooled. it has a very noticeable tang too, Yummy!
And donlt forget that smked chicken
20% pre- fermented flour, bran sprouted 9 grain levain @ 100% hydration
25% Sprouted whole grain
37.5 % High gluten flour
37.5% Bread flour
Lucy loves a great salad and any kind if Mexican food. In this case Green Chili Chicken Quesadilla and Enchilads