So I set out today to try the new technique that we've been discussing from the New York Times article. I created a dough like what he described the night before and gave it an 18 hour rise.
This morning, I dusted off a Le Creuset pot I got as a gift a few years ago but have rarely used.
18 hours later, the dough was extremely bubbly. Personally, I thought it smelled a little overfermented. Slightly alcoholic.
Around 80% hydration, folding it was a pain.
Despite flouring the bowl like crazy, it stuck.
I baked it anyway. It came out ugly, but with pretty nice crumb.
The pretty loaf was a sourdough I baked the same way (in the pot covered for 25 minutes, in the pot uncovered for about 20 or so at 450). It was a damp dough, but not *that* wet. More like 65-70% hydration. Much easier to handle.
I may try it again, but I'm not overwhelmed by the results. They are good and it is a little simpler, technique-wise, but I enjoy a more traditional approach too.