Another Starter Question
So my starter won't start... and my wife said to let it sit for a few days, which I did. Last night I noticed it very smelly and bubbly. So, I decided to feed it and will see if I can make bread again tomorrow using it. This morning it looked very bubbly on top and had a nice vinegary smell. I think it is working now, I gave it another feeding.
I'm wondering about starter, mine has only been fed 50/50 blend of flour and water. It is about 2 weeks old and I had been feeding it daily at the same time each day. Question: If you let it sit for a few days at room temperature, can that cause it to develop toxic or something harmful? I would guess that the baking process would kill any harmful bacteria, but that worries me to some extent.