93% Wholegrain Ciabatta w/ White Wheat and Spelt
So I just keep on baking and we are back to whole grains. Really wanted to make a wholegrain ciabatta and just sorta winged it together and built a Levain off of my White Seed. A few changes might make this a bit more simplified but I'll write as i did (which was a bit whacky) and follow with a few changes.
Total Flour: 1075 : 500 Hard White Wheat (46.5%) 500 Whole Spelt (46.5%), 75 White Bread Flour (7%)
Total H20: 925 + 28 (roughly used during folds) 88.6% hydration
Total Dough: 2040 (4 @ 510 g)
150 g White Starter
150 g White Wheat
150 g Spelt
300 g h20
350 White Wheat
350 Whole Spelt
20 g Agave
20 g Salt
1) Autolyse 1 hour (hold back 10% of water.
2) Add levain, honey, and salt and squeeze through fingers until dough is well blended.
3) 3 sets of slap and folds. Each until dough just starts to resist. These were quick as i wanted to be gentle on the spelt. After each set I carefully rounded the dough similar to preshaping. Rest 10 minutes, Repeat two times.
4) At this stage I felt my dough was dry for a ciabatta and added more liquid which is now the 10% held back.
5) Squeeze through fingers until dough comes back. Rest 30 minutes. stretch and fold. rest 30 minutes stretch and fold. rest 30 minutes. At this stage the dough was active and nearly doubled. It was still a bit soft but I had a plan.
6) turn out on heavily floured table and flour the top of the dough (It is very sticky). Scale out at 500 g and then stretch lightly into a rectangle and gives a letter fold and on floured table. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
7) Using a sifter liberally dust couhe or cloth with spelt flour. Take shape and stretch again and give another fold. square off and place on couche. Let proof 30 minutes.
8) Carefully turn over and stretch to a long rectangle and place on semolina dusted peel.
9) Bake at 500 with steam for 7 minutes. Continue baking for 20 minutes rotating as needed.
cool on rack.