Lazy Man's Bread Recipe
Hi, sometimes I make bread when I visit friends and this one is simple to remember. It's also simple to make for newbies:
- 1 tablespoon each of yeast, molasses, and salt
- 5 cups warm water
- 12 cups flour (usually I use whole wheat mixed with a bit of white)
1. preheat oven to 170 F and put yeast, water, molasses mixture in for a few minutes (until it foams) - turn off oven
2. mix flour(s) and salt and then mush in the water/yeast/molasses mix
3. forget the kneading - that's just pure hard work! Just mush it up with your fingers like you mix hamburger meat, maybe for 3-4 minutes
4. cover mixture and place in still-warm oven for 1 hour
5. pull out of oven, mush up again, and divide mixture into 4 oiled bread-baking pans
6. cover and back into the still-warm oven for another hour
7. pre-heat oven to 400 F and baste tops of loaves with oil (and maybe toppings like seeds or herbs) whilst you wait
8. pop in oven for 40 minutes (check at 35 to ensure things are OK - tap the bottom for a hollow sound)
9. eat and revel in the aroma - then give a still-warm one to a neighbour so they'll think you're awesome!!!
Variations: when you're mushing things up into the 4 loaves you can throw in stuff like trail mix, raisins, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, cheese, garlic, etc.