6/4/11 - Latest Bakes - Invisible Pizza, Baguettes, and Olive Oil Brioche with Dried Pears and Toasted Walnuts
Just wanted to let you all know I'm still baking even if I'm not posting as often... Here's the latest from my kitchen:
1. Invisible Pizzas (We forgot to take pictures)
3. Olive Oil Brioche with Dried Pears and Toasted Walnuts
This recipe makes 2 pizzas, 2 baguettes, and 2 olive oil brioches... Bear with me through all the madness:
Recipe: (Makes approx 3000g of base dough)
400g @ 50% hydration
1/2 tsp instant yeast
Final Dough (approx 65% hydration):
38g Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast
400g Stiff Levain
For Olive Oil Brioche with Dried Pears and Toasted Walnuts
180g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
175g Dried Pears
175g Toasted Walnuts
Large Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
2 - 4L Plastic Tubs with Covers
Bowl with Water
Large Plastic Bag
Steam Pan with Lava Rocks
Instant Read Thermometer
2 Loaf Pans
1. Prepare stiff levain, mix, let ferment for up to 1 hour, and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
2. 4:45pm - Mix sponge, cover and let rest for up to 1 hour.
3. 5:30pm - Mix base dough by hand in large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients, and then dry ingredients on top. Mix from bottom up with rubber spatula. When shaggy dough forms, mix dough with wet hands for a few seconds to work out all lumps. Place in bag and let rest for 1 hour.
4. Roughly cut up dried pears, and toast walnuts in pan and let cool. Lightly oil 2 tubs with olive oil. 6:30pm - Stretch and fold dough and divide into 1600g and 1200g portions. Place 1600g gram portion into oiled tub, cover and let rest. 7:00pm - Turn baguette dough, and in the mixing bowl with the 1200g portion, add 180g of olive oil and slowly mix by hand until olive oil is combined completely into the dough. This takes about 10-15 minutes. Then add the toasted walnuts and dried pears. Mix until combined evenly, place into plastic tub, rest for 45 minutes.
5. 7:45pm - Turn baguette dough, and brioche dough, rest for 1 hr 15 minutes.
6. 9:00pm - Arrange baking stone in oven on 2nd rack from bottom. Preheat with convection until oven thermometer on baking stone reaches 600F. Divide baguette dough into 4 pieces at 400g. Preshape 2 baguettes.
7. 9:15pm - Final shape baguettes, place on bakers linen couch, cover and let proof for 60-90 minutes. Oil 2 loaf pans with olive oil, divide dough into 2 equal portions (900g approx), shape brioche, brush tops with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and leave to proof until dough reaches top of pan, then refrigerate.
8. 9:45pm - Prepare pizza as you like, turn off convection and oven temp down to 550F, and bake for 6-7 minutes directly on stone. Boil some water in a pot for steam pan.
9. 10:30pm - Turn oven down to 475F, Pour boiling water into steam pan, and place on top rack of oven. Turn baguettes out on to flipping board, slash and place in oven. Bake 10 minutes at 475F with steam, then 15 minutes at 450F without steam. Cool completely before cutting. Take brioche out of refrigerator.
10. Turn oven down to 400F, remove plastic wrap from brioche, place in oven in pan directly on baking stone. Bake for 45 minutes until internal temp reaches 190F to 200F. Turn oven off. Remove from pan, return loaves to oven directly on baking stone for 10 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.