Seeded Dark Rye
A few months ago I made a loaf of Russian coriander rye which was not Russian enough and way too coriandery. I have been meaning to get back to it with changes since then but so much bread, so little time. Today, I used that bread as a starting point and tried again in the process losing all of the Russian and most of the coriander. This is a mostly dark rye bread with some spelt and wheat flour. It uses a dark rye sour seeded from wheat starter. It was quite wet, so I shaped by patting and stippled instead of scored. The crust is covered by mixed seeds - sesame, poppy, caraway, and a tiny bit of coriander. In my original version I used molasses, honey, and oil. I ditched all of that this time. Dark rye has plenty of flavor without the sweeteners and I couldn't remember what the oil was for. All in all, a tasty rich bread.
Build starter the day before and leave on counter for 17 hours until very holey and sour smelling. Mix all but salt and seeds. Autolyze for 1 hour. Mix in salt. Move dough to wet bowl and pat into ball. Brush top and sides with water. Leave on counter until it expands a fair amount but not until dough shows signs of breakdown. This took around 2 hours. Flip onto parchment paper - I had to use a wet wooden spatula to get it out of the bowl since the dough was so sticky. Brush out irregularities with a wet pastry brush. Stipple with a fork. Sprinkle with seed mix. Bake at 450F on stone with steam for 25 minutes, and 25 without.