Saturday Baguettes - Week 10
Hopefully this isn't seeming too much like a broken record. This is now my 10th week of baking Hamelman's Baguette's with Poolish. After my slightly ridiculous post last week , I'll keep it brief. This week I used my new postal scale to get exactly 0.067% yeast in my poolish (0.1 grams). I also decreased my preheat temperature slightly to prevent burned bottoms from an overheated stone, and kept a closer watch on final proof, checking every 5 minutes once the baguettes had proofed 55 minutes.
Poolish after 12 hours
Crust could have been darker--I tried baking for an extra couple minutes (28 total) before turning the oven off, to get a more caramelized crust, but I think I just overbaked them. Crust a little chewy, but not bad. Crumb decently open, although not consistently throughout the baguette we had with dinner. Flavor and texture were good, although the outer edges of the crumb seemed dry (hence my suspicion of overbaking). A little flatter than some weeks--I tried doing just two "over the thumb" folds in the final shaping, and I think that wasn't sufficient surface tension.
Next week, I'm going to try making my oven a little hotter. My oven seems to bake cooler than it should, and while I've been assuming that a setting of 485F approximated the desired 460F, that may not be the case. That, and practice, practice, practice at shaping and scoring.