when to stop kneading?
I've been baking quite while but one thing it always makes me ???? is when to stop kneading.
Let's assume I just knead without streach and fold, dough is low hydration (bagel, pretzel etc), and using KitchenAid mixer with dough hook.
When you start kneading, it's kinda shaggy
1) then, it starts to firm up
2) it clears the sid of the bowl but things are still stuck on the side of the bowl.
3) side of the bowls becomes clean.
4) it becomes firmer, starts to ride up the dough hook, you need more strength to pull apart a part of the dough
5) all of sudden, it loosens up. No more riding-up the hook, and starts slapping the side of the bowl.
Is the stage 5 over kneading? It sure makes better window-pane at the stage 5 since it's easier to strech.
Is there any way to tell when is the right time to stop other than window pane?