Sourdough Flaxseed Currant Bread
This is my second ever sourdough attempt. The recipe is adapted from Susan from the Wild Yeast Blog and converted to use with sourdough. Here are the modifications I made:
- Instead of making the poolish, I made a 100% hydration levain from my stiff WW sourdough starter to equal the amount of poolish.
- Skipped the yeast called for in the final dough.
- Fermented for 2hrs at ~75deg F, folding at 30, 60 and 120min.
- Retarded in fridge overnight (~8hrs).
- Took dough out of the fridge and let it warm up for ~1hr before shaping.
- proofed for ~2hrs.
- I also halved the recipe.
And here are the results:
They tasted divine! I do think 1. I over fermented (the dough had almost tripled in volume while i slept =P ) and 2. I handled the dough a little too much during shaping. Hence the lack of big holes like Susan's. But the texture is still light, and I've happily eaten them as is, with honey, with cheese spreads, with soup, and in a sandwich. Very versatile bread!
Ah, my images are blurry and pixely -- they're taken with the iSight camera on my macbook pro. Sigh.... I must be the last person on earth (well, maybe the last person on the internet is more accurate) without a digital camera...