January 29, 2006 - 8:26pm
Mad baking skillz
I baked my butt off today.
Starting at the top, going clockwise:
- Sourdough rustic bread - I haven't tasted this one yet. They turned out a little pale and spotty. I think I was too gentle while shaping them, so they didn't have enough surface tension and were a bit "over the hill," developmentally. They look edible though.
- Hybrid sourdough - I can't bear how much flour I have to throw out to keep my starter going. Today I took the starter I was going to dump and added it to a basic French bread dough with 1 teaspoon of instant yeast in it. It was interesting: it rose like a yeasted bread, but it baked like a naturally yeasted bread, with it springing in the oven for a good 10 minutes. The taste is mildly sourdough like, though not as good as a pure sourdough.
- In front, pain sur poolish. Dstroy's favorite.
- Banana bread with chocolate chips.
- Finally, in the back, chocolate chip cookies. I have to admit I cheated on this one though: these were from a tube of dough that was premade that we picked up on sale at the grocery store.
On top of that I made 2 quiches and a goulash, so dinner for the week is prepared. It was a rainy day today, so we were around the house anyway. Why not bake?