20% kamut - another Abe inspired bake
Well I have never used Kamut and managed to find a 400 g packet at a local organic store - it was very pricey!
I milled the kamut and very quickly found it was different to rye spelt or wholewheat and it jammed my mill very quickly. Panic!! hubby managed to free it up and after I removed the berry causing the issue, I carefully carried on, only to do it again. This time I could fix it, but proceed very carefully and slowly feeding it through. I made 2 x 350 gram boules so it is not a big bake. I have learnt a few things for the next bake.
The recipe has a very small amount of prefermented flour and a long slow fermentation. I had refreshed my stiff starter during the morning and mid afternoon built a 100% hydration version.
8 pm mixed together all ingredients and leave overnight to ferment. Dough was soft but firm and I had the feeling maybe I should have added more water, but as I have heard kamut ferments quickly, I thought just do as recipe says this time.
Next morning there are tiny bubbles in dough but very little increase in volume so as I had microwave warmed up for the Swiss farmhouse yeast water build, I put the container in there. By midday it had risen perhaps 50% so I preshaped and left a full hour.
1:15 pm I did final shape and placed two boules in bowls back in microwave. I did finger poke and thought yep, there is more volume, not huge but.. ok time to bake. Baked in DO 250 deg F for 15 mins lid on, 15 minutes lid off. One of these I scored, the other I left to open on seam line.
Well, not much oven spring, they feel heavy and they are not as big as a SD boule the same weight. Maybe more water would have helped and perhaps I needed a bigger % prefermented flour, and more patience.
Will cut one of these tomorrow. I am very curious to see how the crumb is and how the flavour is.