I thought I would make an Italian bead but with the various topping folks out on bruschetta today that might be unnecessary. Lucy went back and forth and finally decided the toppings should be the star and the bread should be in the background so an Italian durum bread with rosemary, dried tomato, Parmesan and fresh garlic was out – but it sure sounds good to me now.
We came up with a barely Italian note for this bake. 7 whole grains but only 20% of the total with a 10% pre-fermented bran and high extraction, 100% hydration, 12 hour, 2 stage levain made with 20 g of NMNF rye starter that was only retarded 1 week - so it should be nicely sour but not as much as usual.
We did 30 minute autolyse with the Pink Himalayan sea salt sprinkled on top that brought the hydration up to 74% with the remaining dough flour being 70% Winco bread flour and 10% Lafama AP. We did 60 slap and folds and then 3 sets of 4 stretch and folds all on 40 minute intervals and then oiled up a SS bowl and put I tin the fridge for a 13 retard.
The only Italian part of this bake was using semolina to dust the basket and the top of the loaf so i wouldn't stick.
We took it out in the morning and let it warm up for 2 hour before pre-shaping and final shaping 10 minutes later. We let it proof for an hour and half before firing up the oven to 500 F with the Combo Cooker inside.
It looks and smells grand and I will get to cut this open to have a peek at the crumb before letting the daughter take it away or have it delivered by Dad.
Not too open so perfect to pile bruschetta toppings on when toasted. The Bruschetta party was delayed a day so it should be at its most sour by then.