Bread1965’s “Let’s Blame CNN Sourdough”
This is a copycat version of Bread1965‘s loaf from his Blame CNN post. I enjoyed the loaf he gave so much that for this weekend, this was the loaf to make! I tweaked the method and the amount of Levain to what works for my schedule but I tried to be as faithful as possible to the ingredients.
This makes 3 approximately 650g baked loaves.
1. Toast 50 g of sunflowers seeds and 25 g each of flax and chia seeds in a dry frying pan. I put a lid on it to stop the seeds from jumping all over the place. The toasted seeds were super aromatic. I hadn’t used chia in breads before so this was a first!
2. Autolyse the toasted seeds with 60 g freshly milled Buckwheat flour, 140 g freshly milled rye flour, 140 g Arva Flour Mills whole-wheat flour (Thanks, Bread1965 for this!), 610 g unbleached flour, 50 g ground flax seeds, and 750 g water. Let sit for at least a couple of hours.
3. Mix in 30 g yogurt, 21 g sea salt, 270 g 80% hydration young levain, and 30 g water. I do this by hand. I originally forgot to add in the yogurt so it got added right after the initial mixing.
4. Do 4 sets of folds 30 or so minutes apart and let rise till double in a warm place (my oven with door cracked open and lights on).
5. Divide into 745 g boules, shape loosely, let rest 15-20 minutes and then shape tightly. Place in covered bannetons and put to proof overnight in the fridge (12 hours or so).
6. Preheat oven to 475F with pots inside. Bake loaves in covered pots at 450F for 25 minutes, remove lids and bake for a further 22 minutes at 425F.
Let cool and enjoy!