Aug 17-18: Daily Bread "Sandwich" Loaf
Along with my play-time (the Eclipse experiments), I also needed a basic sandwich loaf for the week. We've had hot, dry weather, bringing on the need for an early harvest, so not much time at home right now and a need for much portable food!
For our sandwiches this week, I wanted to use up the last of my older durum and kamut berries (since I had stocked up again), use up the rest of the rye levain that I had built, and keep it fairly high in whole grains.
This dough is a joy to work with, and all went according to original plan of 2 hour autolyse, 2-1/2 hours of mixing and room temp fermentation with stretch and folds, and then 15 hours in the fridge. It was pre-shaped straight from the fridge, rested for 1 hour, shaped, then proofed for 2 hours before baking at 450 deg covered for 25 minutes / 425 degrees uncovered for 25 minutes.
FLOUR TOTAL (g)
Fresh Milled Rye
Fresh Milled Durum
Fresh Milled Kamut
All Purpose Flour
Total Dough Weight
Total Water (Hydration)
Since it is fairly low hydration, and I firmly de-gassed it during shaping, it came out with my ideal sandwich crumb, and a lovely delicate yellow tinge from the durum / kamut mix.
The best part about it is that it got a “good bread” review from the husband – which is the highest praise from him.
Getting ready to make up some sandwiches looked a bit like "day and night", and we really enjoyed having the variety in the flavours
The sandwich loaf is done, but I got to finish up the last of the "night" loaf with breakfast this morning (topped with some cream cheese and the awesome prune-butter from Hanseata's blog: http://hanseata.blogspot.ca/2015/02/ex-pats-pflaumenmus-ersatz-plum-butter.html)
No time for baking this week, so I'm awfully glad that the freezer still has some stock from past bakes.
Bon appétit and keep baking happy!