12 Grain Cereal with Poolish
Back home now, with all my baking equipment, so I thought I'd re-create the no-measure bread I made on holiday last week, only measuring stuff this time so I could bake it again, and scale it for different sized batches. The original adventure is recorded in my blog post here.
This time, just for something a bit different, I made the poolish with white whole wheat flour. It's 100% hydration, 100 grams each of flour and water and about 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast.
Next, the soaker - 50 grams of bulk 12 grain cereal (a blend of mostly cracked grains and seeds, with a few flakes) and 100 grams of boiling water. Both the poolish and the soaker were made in the morning and left to sit for most of the day.
Later afternoon / early evening, I mixed the poolish and soaker with 450 grams of bread flour, 250 grams of water, 1/2 tsp dry yeast and 11 grams of salt. The dough itself (just counting the dough water and flour) was 56% hydration, but if you count the 12 grain cereal as flour and calculate hydration with all the flours and water from dough, soaker and poolish, it's 75%. That was probably the main difference between this batch and the no-measure batch, as the latter was probably much higher hydration (I ran out of flour!).
The other difference was that I could happily mix the dough in the Ankarsrum, rather than dealing with the sticky mess by hand. The roller and scraper did a fine job of mixing and kneading. I should have recorded it, actually, as it was a very good demonstration of how dough develops nicely with the roller. Medium-low speed for 8 minutes made nice, stretchy, soft dough that was still a bit sticky.
I let the dough sit for about an hour then did a few stretch and folds, and it looked very nice, starting to form a nice round shape. In hindsight I could have done two sets of S&Fs, 30 minutes apart, and had an even nicer dough, but, after 1.5 hours on the counter I put it in the fridge for the night (it's pretty warm in the house right now).
Nice bubbles in the dough, so it's got a good start on fermenting.
This morning I took it out; it looked very nice. I turned it out on the bench and divided it into two 500 gram pieces, pre-shaped and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then shaped into rough batards. I was debating baking it in pans, or rising in baskets but decided to just put it right on the peel on parchment to proof. I let it proof for about an hour and 45 minutes but that was probably a bit too long. The slashes didn't open up too much but oven spring was fairly respectable. Five minutes at 475F with steam, then down to 425F for another 20 minutes, turning halfway through the bake.
I'm very happy with the crumb on this one. It's quite even in consistency but still open, soft and moist. If it keeps like the no-measure version it will stay this way for two or three days. Very nice flavour with just unsalted butter, so I expect it will also be nice with a lot of other things! All in all, a keeper and one for the bread customers.